Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iis & sendmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

F1lby

MIS
Oct 1, 2001
GB
Hi,
I've upgraded our web server from IIS5 to IIS6.
The ASP scripts that used to work on IIS5 don't work any more.

All I get is the browser is HTTP 500 - Internal server error

The .asp scripts are using cdonts and worked fine before upgrading to iis6.

I don't mind rewriting the scripts but can anyone confirm whether iis6 is fully compatible with older code? (iis5).

We upgraded some extensive extranet and intranet applications in the fall with no problems. I vaguely recall receiving that message, but can't remember at what stage.
Have you already enabled asp in the IIS manager? (Click on Web service extensions, select Active Server Pages, then click Allow)

yep. ASP enabled. I've written a hello world to prove asp works. ok, but I'm unable to get cdonts working under iis6 - whereas it worked under iis5 fine.
No changes to the code/file locations/etc.
The only error I get in the browser is err500 - internal server error.
Does anyone know if cdonts is supported under iis6 by default?

Maybe cdonts.dll isn't there or isn't registered. In the mean time try this CDO snipped. If you have cdosys.dll then you can send email that way.

Dim objMail
Set objMail = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")
With objMail
.To = "them@them.com"
.CC = "her@she.com"
.From = "you@yourself.com"
.Subject = "CDO Test"
.TextBody = "Hello World"
.Send
End With
set objMail = nothing

i've had similar problems before, but when upgrading i had forgotten to include cdonts services in the options, because normally a webserver doesn't handle email.. etc, make sure it's installed your cdonts.dll is registered, and of course your SMTP services are running ( might want to adjust the properties in MMC of SMTP/CDONTS to disallow external connections/Relaying for virus/spammer issues )

and that should patch it up, as far as i know, the changes between IIS5 and IIS6 in regards to the cdonts scripting side was minimal extended features, but the core is still the same so your scripts should still work.

sorry i cant give more to help here, 500 errors are a bitch to chase down

eep! bad habit, soryr about the vulgarity in the prior post, i'd edit it but i can't, i post in many other forums sometimes i forget which one has which rules :)

I've been told by a programmer that CDONTS isn't supported in IIS6, and that I have to use CDO.
Not being a programmer is causing me few headaches!!

Anyway, loaded PHP, rewrote some of the ASP code and had it working in no time at all! Not bad considering I'd never coded PHP a day ago!

Wow - PHP is easy to install and get working! While PHP doesn't fit into the grand scheme of things with Microsoft, it's easy to use - like programming in Basic!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back