Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS security and Basic Authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

guyute

MIS
Nov 2, 2001
US
<<previously posted in exchange forum, but I thought this is more of an IIS question>>

Ok, the previous admins on our network restricted access to the OWA by creating a OWA group and giving that group access to log on local. While this works fine for Outlook only access, I want to add a link on my logon.asp page that directs to a employee only page which would be authenticated by checking the employee group.

I thought it would be easy, I gave the employee group log on locally access and restricted access on the logonfrm.asp page to the OWA group. This way I can authenticate Only OWA users for Outlook, and set up a different authentication for the employee page. However, now when someone wants to check their mail Via OWA, they are prompted to enter their logon information twice. I kind of see why it does that, but I would think that Since OWA users are also employees the validation should pass?

I am using Basic Authentication.
Am I not doing something right? Any insight would be great.

Thanks,

Jim

I think I figured it out sort of. I set the anonymous user with read/execute access to the web files. This should cover the local login problem. Now I only have 1 prompt to login and I can change who can log in for which pages I want.

Can Anyone tell me if putting the Internet guest Account access on my web files could be any sort of security risk? I wouldnt think so, but I want to make sure before I put this into effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back