Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS Misery

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaschulz

Programmer
May 20, 2005
FR
It must be me because I get the same problem on two different machines (A: IBM ThinkPad 240X running Win 2000 Pro, and B a noname box runnins Win XP Pro). This is what happens. I install IIS, set up a virtual folder, and begin testing some ASP stuff I am working on. And it works for an hour or two, or a day or two. But after a while there comes a point when I try to load the start the management applet and it won't show on the screen. After that, when I shut down I get a dialog that asks if I want to save a .mmc file, and then one that says mmc.exe not responding and needs to be shut down. Nothing I do fixes this. So I try uninstalling IIS, and that won't work either. On A the uninstall process hangs the machine, on B it crashes XP altogether and forces a reboot! The only way I can get IIS off the machine is to do the uninstall from Safe Mode. I tried reinstalling on A but I still couldn't make the snap-in show itself. I went through the install/uninstall cycle two or three more times, and finally I got it back to where it was working. That was Thursday. Today is Sunday, and I am back in the same old mess again. Any ideas would be appreciated.

BTW: I used netstat and there doesn't appear to be anything on Port 80. I do run Zone Alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back