Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS Just not working 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 26, 2001
GB
Hi guys, i wonder if you could shed any light on my problem.

I have to set up our new dedicated server, and i'm having trouble getting web pages to work. I have some experience with IIS on windows XP and serve pages on my own machine no probs.

I have set up a couple of test websites, and i think everything should be working fine. They are set to the right directories and everything, with basic html pages in there. IIS says everything is 'running' in the window.

But when i try to access the sites in IE i i just get 404 errors. I've tried and also the i.p. but its the same whatever. I can't even view the default website with the ISS documentation.

I tried to reinstall IIS but it just screwed up the remote connection and I had to have the server reset!

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Many thanks in advance,

Nick

Nick (Software Developer)

nick@retrographics.fsnet.co.uk
nick.price@myenable.com

Nick

I am currently having the same problem. What version of IIS are you using?

Susan

sounds like you may have DNS issues or the default page is not correct. More info on your systems would be useful.

Try this for a test.

In the IIS MMC, RC the site and pick browse, the site should open in the server web browser, The error type should point to what is wrong.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Have tried RC & Browse on default site. (Sorry Nick - I'm taking over your post here...) Error message is as follows.

The page cannot be displayed
There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:
Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
Open the localhost:8180 home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
Internet Information Services

------------------------------------------------------------
Technical Information (for support personnel)

Error Type:
Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A0046)
Permission denied: 'GetObject'
/localstart.asp, line 40

Browser Type:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)

Page:
GET /localstart.asp

I have had some minor success! i got one of my sites working, but only on the direct i.p. to the webserver not via localhost.

I guess my problem is that i don't understand enough about iis on windows 2000 server, and i.p. addresses and host headers etc. are a bit of a muddle to me. I think i'm just doing something wrong..

I'll update when i understand what i was doing wrong and get the rest of my sites working...

Nick (Software Developer)

nick@retrographics.fsnet.co.uk
nick.price@myenable.com

for localhost to work you need the following entry in your hosts file (usually in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc or c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc)

127.0.0.1 localhost

it does appear that all your problems are down to DNS \ TCPIP and not IIS or Win2000.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

suzi2-

Maybe you could post the script? It's a permission issue, below I copied and pasted the error you posted. It shows Permission denied: 'GetObject'. Or it could be that the object doesn't exist if you flushed it with another (or even the same) script.

clip follows:

HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
Internet Information Services

------------------------------------------------------------
Technical Information (for support personnel)

Error Type:
Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A0046)
Permission denied: 'GetObject'
/localstart.asp, line 40

ornae,

localstart.asp is a standard script that is installed on the default site when IIS is first installed
line 40 refers to this;
sDefDoc = oDefSite.DefaultDoc

the object is created by this line;
Set oDefSite = GetObject(path)

and as you point out this is a permissions problem.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Chris,

I'm sorry, I was thinking she had put her own asp script on her server, I didn't know she was using the localstart.asp from installation. :eek:)

-Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back