Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS installed but is not listed in Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

waltp9999

Programmer
Jun 17, 2002
US
I have IIS installed and it was running, but now it is not even listed in the SERVICES list. When I look at Add/Remove Windows Components, IIS is listed with a greyed checked box. Any idea how I can get it running again?

Thanks

It will list in the services MMC as "World Wide Web Publishing Service" and in the running list as inetinfo.exe.

Check in the MMC that Startup is set to Automatic and it is started. and check the event log for errors.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
A website that proves the cobblers kids adage.
Nightclub counting systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I don't see "World Wide Web Publishing Service" in the services list either, nor is inetinfo.exe running.

I'm not familiar with the term MMC -- I may know it as something else.

You can stop/start iis from the program itself found here:

Control Panel > Administrative tools > Internet Information Services

Once you drop down the menus on the left and see the earth icon, click that and click the play/stop icon to start/stop the service.

The only thing i found in Services releated to IIS is IIS Admin.

www.sitesd.com
ASP WEB DEVELOPMENT

MMC is the Management Console (admin tools -> computer management)

It will be worth spending some time searching the MS Knowledge Base. Check the System and Application event logs for any errors and use that as a starting point.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
A website that proves the cobblers kids adage.
Nightclub counting systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

you may have also bumped into the ghost IIS issue.. happens when you install IIS with antivirus enabled, it kind of kills some portions like the ability to see it,run it, or manipulate it.. basically the install runs, adds to the uninstall list, but other than that there seems to be little trace of it.

try uninstalling it, disabling your AV or unloading it if you can, then re-install IIS.. i believe that should patch up the missing/hidden services etc.

also most people dont have administrative tools enabled by default especially if you're staring out.. right click the taskbar/start button and go to properties, then in the advanced tab there's a list of checkboxes in the bottom, enable administrative tools, and hit ok .. then under Start->Programs-> ... will appear administrative tools, which will house most of your admin items like services/iis/event viewer/ and odbc.

hope the info helps.

[thumbsup2]DreX
aKa - Robert

To get IIS to re-start go to the command prompt by going to the start menu and choosing "run." Type "cmd" and hit "ok."
At the C: prompt type iisreset. You can also add iis through the MMC (Microsoft Management Console). To get to the MMC go to the start menu and choose "run." Type mmc and that will start the console. Once the window appears choose "Console" and then "new." Choose "console" again and then "Add/remove Snap-in." Choose "add" from the "Add/remove" window and that will produce a window showing you the available snap-ins. Page down till you see "Internet Information Services." Adding this will give you the ability to view the contents of IIS and stop and restart it without using the command prompt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back