Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS downloads ASP files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kafmil

Technical User
Jul 15, 2002
AU
Every asp file I try to run in IE brings up the download file dialog instead of displaying the file. I am Running XP Pro with IIS 5.1. I have created a virtual directory in IIS for the appliaction. I have given everyone full permission to the directory and the files. I have set the Execute permissions to sripts only. Application protection is set to Low. Directory security is set to Intergrated user and Anonymous access is set to true. I am completely baffled. I have even tried uninstalling and reinstalling IIS with no luck. Can someone out there please help me!!!

In IIS, Go to properties of your virtual website. Under "Virtual Directory" go in configuration. Under mappings, is the extension .ASP there? If not create one. It should look like the .ASA.

Mine look like this...
Executable : C:\Windows\system32\inetsrc\asp.dll
Extension : .asp
Limit to: GET,HEAD,POST,TRACE
Script engine : Checked

Make the same for .asa

try these steps to test your server.
create a page
copy/paste this
<%
Response.Write &quot;Hello!&quot;
%>

save this page as hello.asp in this directory
wwwroot located in IIS directory tree

now start IIS
use the + tree view to expand to the directory.
when you find the hello.asp page in the directory right click it and click browse.

Also, just to be certain, what does the url you're using look like? It should look something like:
Code:
ComputernameOrDomainnameOrIPaddress/VirtualDirectoryName/PageName.asp
and not like:
Code:
U:/Inetpub/[URL unfurl="true"]wwwroot/PageName.asp[/URL]
where &quot;U:&quot; represents a mapped drive on the network. The latter means that you literally want the file itself (hence the offer to Save it), while the former asks the web server to process it.

OK I've tried all of your suggestions and still no joy. I am completely comfused. I can't think of any other settings to check. There must be a way around this problem but I just can't figure it out. I am going to uninstall and reinstall again. If anyone out there has any ideas pleeeease let me know.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back