Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS Authentication in ASP accessing SQLServer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neilf

Technical User
May 15, 2001
GB
I have set the properties of a single asp page to use integrated windows authorisation (on IIS5). This allows authorised users to get to subsequent pages which all have anonymous access in order to allow connnection to a SQLServer 2000 database using a single windows login. This all works fine as long as I am only returning records from the database; I cannot update the database, but get no error message. If I change the properties of the login page to anonymous access I can do what I like to the database. Using the query analyser in SQLserver I can see that the same user is logging in from the same machine in both instances.

I have removed all server and session variables from the pages in order to eliminate them as possible causes.

This doesn't make sense to me - someone please help!

why don't you use integrated Auth and create the user in the database???(Enterprise Manages) and you can configure the roles for any user (read/write...) and for any table

good luck

Drtheater,

I worked with the NT Auth options, and can't seem to get things to work so that my INTRANET ASP-based app will allow users seamless access to the IIS Server and SQL database.

The webserver and DB server are NOT the same machine.

So far, I either have to allow anonymous access and hardcode my dbconnect string with UID & PWD, which has everyone coming into the db as a single user (who is a db user/login in on the SQL Server). Or I turn on BASIC authentication, with challenger/response off and Anonymous off, which requires them to enter their NT login/Pwd AGAIN into a dialogue box. This is NOT what I want!!!

I want the NT/IIS/SQLSvr to recognize the NT login and have the IIS Server impersonate the NT userID as advertised.

I have all the appropriate users/groups/roles set up across NT & SQLSvr.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Hi RickThomson

I tested at home (two computers), the first is my SQL, with UID and PWD to login and the other IIS 5. I have the iis configured with integrated authentication. I made 3 tests. First with dbconnection string in the asp (ok), Second I created in the global asa one application with the string (seem to work again) and Third I made a odbc dsn connection and work again. Maybe I don´t have all the info to help you. If you want we can test it this weekend (pixel@clix.pt)

see ya and good luck

Drtheater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back