Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS/ ASP pages won't refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

lds4me

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2001
US
Got a weird problem here. I don't know if this is server side or client side--here it goes.

I have an IIS box on 2k Adv. running a high volume website with forums. I'm just the admin of the box and not the web designer for the page. We experienced a problem a while back concerning moving IP addresses (long story--too long for here). The problem we are now experiencing is that the pages will not refresh for some client pc's. From my tests with different client pcs, if I run the Windows update it will correct the problem of the forum threads refreshing. On the thread list there is a button on the webpage to take the individual back to the previous page--IT WILL refresh the screen at that time. IF you press the back button on the browser the screen will not refresh, but will come back with cached items. If you delete the temp files it will show the correct up to date screen.

These problem do not happen with every workstation, only with ones which haven't been updated. I'm thinking the web guy might have done something to the code to make it not work properly. I'm strictly a connectivity, OS troubleshooter, glorified card swapper and have little to do with webpages and would appreciate any assistance you can afford. The website is monolithic and our webguy doesn't know where to begin to look into the guy's webpage to figure whether it's a server issue or a scripting issue with the guy's webpage. So that's my question, has anyone had the issue with threads either not refreshing to new page or changing to default background colors (blue, with white background). So has anyone come across this issue and have any direction on which way to go to correct it? Thanks in advanced.

The mechanism to specify to browser that you want or not to be cached is the following:
-there is an ASP possibility: <%response.Expires=-1%> and in this case the page will never be cached! (you can check the file, if there is or not this instruction)
- there is possibility that is working client side
<!--- Client side cache prevention --->
<meta http-equiv=&quot;Expires&quot; content=&quot;0&quot;>

That's all that I know about caching, from the programers point of view.

What Windows Update is involved?
Gia Betiu
m.betiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5

Ids4me

Sounds more like a client problem by what you are describing.

In Internet Explorer click on Tools > Internet Options > General > (Temporary Internet Files...) > Settings
and make sure you select 'Every visit to the page'.

By default this is set to Automatically and can play havok if you want pages to refresh every time.

Hope this helps
Tropolite

The problem was cached http headers. Unchecked those and the page refresh issue associated with the asp pages was corrected. Thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back