Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iis and network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomTT

Programmer
Jun 3, 2002
US
I've done this before, but can't seem to get it right this time.......

I have a new desktop running XP Professional and IIS.

The desktop is on a local network with several other computers.

From the computer with the IIS,I can browse to the index.htm file in the root directory ( or and the page loads fine.

If I try to browse to the index file from another computer on the network, the file does not load. I checked securtiy on the folders and they are available to the network.

If I check my network places on one of the other computers on the network, I can go to the PC with no problem and open any file so I have access from one computer to another.

The browser link I'm using is from the other pcs to the one with the iis is (just like when on the pc).

What did I forget since the last time I set this up?

Thanks !

Thanks "FoamCow?......."

I sat back a while and tried to figure out what was different. Seems that the latest version of XP Pro or its version of IIS automatically throws up a Windows Firewall for my protection. I turned it off and was able to pull up the pages remotely with no problem.

I figure I need to do some kind of half-way set up where selected users can get by, but not all.....

Thanks for the help.......

TT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back