Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS and Exchange Services Quit Unexpectedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameshutchinson008

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2002
GB
Came into work monday morning to find a dead Exchange server. All the IIS and Exchange services had failed.

The event log confirmed this but gave no other information. I am running Windows 2000 SP2 Exchange 2000 SP3.

Any help will be muchly appreciated.

James

is it enterprise or standard? if standard is your DB larger than 16gb? 01110000

Trace the event log entries to the first error that caused the shut down of services and consult microsoft support site if necessary to find more information.
It may be OWA related since your IIS is down as well, exploit maybe? Check the IIS logs in /WINNT/System32 folder for any clues.

That is jsut it there was no other events in the system log indicating a reasin for the services shutting down. I have looked through my firewall logs and there was no traffic coming or going at the time of failure 01.02 Sunday evening. I did look on Microsoft's web site, the only nearly simular summary sugested the code red worm but said these events would be logged every 5 minutes into the system log.

Any ideas.

Btw I am running standard Exchange (soon to be upgraded)with an 11.5 gig database.

"Exchange 2000 SP3" ?

Did the services 7031 in the System Log?

Need more details on "The event log confirmed this" Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

The SMTP service had stopped, in the even log Event id 7031 IIS services terminated was logged. Also Imap4 service, pop service also terminated.

James

You might have Nimda. This is a good sign.

Check c:\inetpub\scripts

If you have TFTP files it is Nimda. Dan

Yes I do Dan (shite) Any tips to stop this kind of thing happening ?

How do I clean it ?

Thanks for your responce By the way.

james

We recommend a rebuild. You can download a free Nimda cleaner though.

Apply the Security hotfixes to stop it! Dan

Cheers Dan I have Implimented a front end server and patched it.

I meant servie pack 2 BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back