Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 8.5 Throws Server Error 500.19 and error code: 0x80070021 SOLVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnowItAllmost

Programmer
Apr 3, 2009
US
Hello People,

I have a problem with IIS 8.5 on a Vultr virtual machine.

It is a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard. The server has Filemaker Server 15 on it, and it has been functioning properly for months. The Filemaker Server Administration website has also functioned the entire time.

Now, the customer wishes to have an Umbraco CMS website on the server. I indicated this would not be a problem, and so I happily proceeded to install SQL Server 2016 Express, and created the Umbraco database. I have set up around twenty Umbraco sites, so I was full of confidence at the time.

Then I installed Umbraco manually, binding the Umbraco site to port 8000 so it would not conflict with the existing Filemaker site, and attempted to run it to complete the installation.

The Umbraco site immediately threw a server error 500. After some troubleshooting of that, which is not all that unusual for an Umbraco site install, I realized that the Filemaker Server Administration site is now also throwing an error 500, which leads me to believe it was not the Umbraco install that broke IIS. That only leaves the SQL Server 2016 Express install, although I can't imagine how that could be.

I am posting a line from the IIS log file. That is all that is in the log every time the page throws an error. It is very uninformative, at least to me.

2017-10-18 20:24:56 [SERVERNAME] 127.0.0.1 GET / - 8000 - 127.0.0.1 HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/5.0+(Windows+NT+6.3;+WOW64;+Trident/7.0;+rv:11.0)+like+Gecko - nhg.local:8000 500 19 33 1093

If someone could assist me in troubleshooting this issue, I would be forever grateful. My sanity is at stake.

Thank you

Update: I finally got Umbraco to function on the website. The problem was twofold. First, the web.config file had sections in it that were configured as locked at a higher level, thus causing the error 500.19.

Below are the steps to resolve:

1.Go to C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config\applicationHost.config and open in notepad

2.Change the following key value present in
<section name="handlers" overrideModeDefault="Deny" /> change this value from "Deny" to "Allow"
<section name="modules" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication" overrideModeDefault="Deny" /> change this value from "Deny" to "Allow"

Then, I began receiving HTTP Error 500.22 - Internal Server Error An ASP.NET setting has been detected that does not apply in Integrated managed pipeline mode.

This error implies that the application can only run in Classic mode in the Application Pool. Not true of the Umbraco application.

So, In the <system.webServer> section of the web.config file, I had to add the key <validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="false"/>.

Now Umbraco runs perfectly in on the server.

But, alas, my Filemaker Server Administrator application is still throwing an error 500. I will update this if I can fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back