Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 7.5 Intranet With Two Websites Access Via Name Instead Of IP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittle

ISP
Sep 10, 2002
US
I have set up a test intranet web site on my windows 7 professional machine.
I am using IIS 7.5.

I want my site to authenticate me to pages using windows authentication without asking for a username and password. I want to do this from the machine that I have IIS installed on and ideally from another client computer on the same intranet. Can anybody advise what I should check to be able to access two different IIS sites on the server via a name instead of an IP address? This is in a test environment so I cannot set a DNS server value up. That will be done by the system admin when it goes live.

I have tried the following:-

My IIS has three sites.
1) Default site on port 80 with defaults that I’m not really using
2) Another site on port 98 with integrated windows authority
3) Another site on port 99 with integrated windows authority

I can access my sites from the IIS machine as:-

and as you would expect I am not prompted for a username and password.

I can access my sites from my IIS machine via:-
http:/IP.IP.IP.IP:98//
http:/IP.IP.IP.IP:99//

and I am prompted for a windows username and password and get authenticated when I enter my domain username and password. I believe the dialogue box is shown because all addresses with a ‘.’ are assumed to be internet addresses and so my windows domain credentials are not passed to IIS.

To try and pretend I have my sites set up with a proper name ( eg. Mysite.com), I have added in the hosts file in folder c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\Hosts A definition set up as:

IP.IP.IP.IP mytestsite

I then try to access but all fail as unrecognised addresses.

I cannot set my IP address sites to the ‘intranet zone’ on my browser as this is locked out by the admin who maintains settings like that for all users.

Dazed and confused.

Remember.. 'Depression is just anger without enthusiasum'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back