Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 6 / SMTP mail / IISAdmin / Mail stops going outbound

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueManOp

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2002
US
Anyone ever have a problem where all of a sudden SMTP mail stops sending outbound? Mail still seems to come inbound and no services seem to stop. To resolve the issue I have to restart the "IISAdmin" service.

Things I have tried:
Restarting DNS service
Restarting just SMTP mail service
Disabling Spam filter
Disabling Virus Scanner
Changing DNS forwarding servers

Seems the only cure is to restart the server or restart the IISadmin service. I also notice that the "Inetinfo.exe" is also using a ton of ram and continues to grow over time, about 180mb of ram. Although I have 4GB avail.

Anyone got any ideas?

Inetinfo.exe is a program that debugs IIS, it also works with Exchange 2000. What may be happening is that your server is being used as a relay. Check to make sure that you are not allowing just any computer to relay through your server. It is possible that there is so much SPAM coming out of your server that the messages that you wish to send are being Queued while the SPAM takes it's course. Be careful or you will be blacklisted.

Best of luck.

LF

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."--Albert Einstein

It's possible you're being targeted as a relay -- might want to check some docs on how to lock down the Virtual SMTP Server.

Also, check in IIS and note the paths to various queues. Open those folders and see how many messages are waiting when INETINFO utilization is spiking. You can open any of the messages; they should be in ASCII format. Make sure that all of them are e-mails that are "supposed" to be originating from your server or are NDR responses for bounced addresses at one of your domains being handled by this server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back