Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 6 Only repsonding to local connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgillin

Programmer
Oct 22, 2003
US
Hi All,
I have a test server setup and I'm trying to figure out how to make it accessible to the internet (by IP address). I've tested locally using both , and by IP address (which I get from ipconfig). I can type in the IP address on the server itself and the site comes up, but if I go to another server and try to access it over the internet, it doesn't come up.
I have 2 firewalls and I made sure that port 80 was open.
Then, I tried simply shutting down both firewalls and attempting access via another computer, but with no luck.
Any ideas why?
Thanks for any thoughts.

What's the first number of your IP address you're trying to get to? Can you ping the same IP from the other box? If you can ping it, then do a ping -a x.x.x.x This will give you the DNS name. Use your browser on box number 2 and type
Anything?

What O/S?

Thanks for the reply.
I'm running Windows 2003 and thus IIS6. That's the main issue I think (because it's so locked down by default). I don't have a public domain setup for this test server and only need to have people access it by IP address. After obtaining my IP address by using ipconfig, I can type that in on the server and the site will come up. But, even after disabling my firewalls, I still can't access it from another computer. I think the problem is that something needs to be enabled within this iis6 configuration, but I haven't figured out what that is yet.
Any ideas?

Can you let me know if you worked it out. I have the same problem

Actually I didn't, and I haven't retried yet, but I did some thinking about it and I think it's a matter of giving the "Internet Guest Account" read and execute permissions.

Do you run a hardware firewall?

IF it is a hardware firewall did you forward all port 80 traffic to the machine?

on another machine in the office did you try ?

Rich Cook -- "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

It's a 2K3 issue. I had the same problem. I couldn't access any of the services remotely. If I get some time today I'll read up on 2k3 at microsoft's site and report back

Scott Heath
AIM: orange7288

Hi Guys,

seems to be a bit of a hair puller .....
I have the same thing happening ....wierd thing is ftp works fine .....my server is multihomed ,site is bound to all available ip's .the problem occurs when i use nat or ics and i dont have any firewall running.

please anyone ...?????

regards
rackunit

Hi guys,

Turns out my problem is simply that my isp blocks incoming port 80 traffic (the bastards)

regards
rackunit

That indeed turns out to be my problem as well. I switched to a different port and it worked fine. It's kinof nice for testing purposes to know this since you can create numerous websites on different ports and have the client login to the port that their website is being developed on (since this is just a development server).
Thanks,
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back