Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 5 under win2k professional workstation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolandschwarz2001

IS-IT--Management
Aug 17, 2001
DE
Hi again !

I have just a simple question.
I need to learn asp, and for this need the iis 5.
The only problem is that i have no spare computer to install win2k server or advanced server.
( only with vmware, that work also really fine ).
So the question is : can I get iis5 to run on an ordinary win2k prof. box, and how ?

Thanks for any idea .

Greetings

Roland

Yes there is. That is how I run my web site is on a regular Win2k box. Go to add/remove programs, click add/remove windows components, and select IIS. Install it and then configure it. You should be all set.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Jason Wichman
ftp://jwichman.ath.cx:22

Hi !

Hmmm, that sound too simple :)
A friend - sysadmin - told me that it is not possible to run the iis 5 under win2k, and that i need the win2k server, but i will try the way you suggested and will inform you of the result.

so long, thanks !

Roland

Well, if it isn't possible, then I don't know how it worked for me. I run Win2k Pro, and installed IIS5. Have been running it for 6 months now and everything works just fine.

Let me know the status on it. Jason Wichman
ftp://jwichman.ath.cx:22

Hi again !

I have tried your idea and it worked without problem.
I was just wondering because a sysadmin told me that i does not work. so i trusted him.
Running win2k server in a virtual machine is nice, but uses a little too much resources on my computer.

And - unbelievable - Visual Interdev now can connect to the webserver :)
Thats really nice.

So, thanks alot for your help !

Greetings

Roland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back