Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 5 and accessing from Windows 98 Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

goofygeef

Technical User
Mar 26, 2001
US
I have Win 2000 PRO, IIS 5 installed. Running ethernet network, TCP/IP. No problems except that have Win 98 client that will not see the IIS server; using Internet connection sharing on Win 2000 machine, no problems. I can access this server from any other Win 2000 client; can access from Win 98 client if I set proxy server settings, but then it cannot access the internet.
The following settings:
IIS anonymous access; IP is (all unassigned) (have tried specific IP, no diff). Have varied IUSR password and group (guest and power user, no diff)
Local connection, gateway is set, dns is set, no WINS,
using NETBIOS, have tried various entries in HOSTS files at both ends;
Win 98 settings: fixed IP, DNS server set, gateway set, no WINS;
running arp shows correct gateway, HOST, etc; running IPCONFIG show same.
This is driving me nuts and cannot get a real clue from any source, as a matter of fact, existing documentation from MS is errouneous as to sharing, etc. What really makes me crazy is I had this working at one time. And NO, no viruses (standard question), run Norton AV, on email as well.

Thanx for any real help.

I haven't gotten too many responses on this one. I'm surprised no one has run into this sit. before.
For some reason, with this Win 98 client, all requests are going out to the Internet, and none to the local server, unless PROXY is specified, in which case, all requests go to the server, and none outside of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back