Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 5.1 on XP Pro - Can't see even /iisstart.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonachuck

Programmer
Mar 13, 2003
CA
Please,

I really hope someone can throw some light to me... I'm a poor newbie trying to learn ASP.NET :( I bought the Wrox book "Beginning ASP.NET with VB.NET" and followed the instructions. I did on my PC at work (W2K/IIS5.0) and was perfect.

Then I did the same at home where I got XP Pro and I installed IIS 5.1 from Windows CD. I didn't touch the default options.

After the install, I typed: and I got: "The page cannot be displayed ...HTTP 500 - Internal server error Internet Explorer "

Then I tryed and got the same.

Then I tryed computer's name>/iisstart.asp and I got: "Bad Gateway The following error occurred: A DNS lookup error occurred. The host was not found"

I have been looking for information for days now, here are the things I tried:

1) Disabled friendly messages on IE;
2) Changed Application Protection to Low at the Default Web Site Properties - Home Directory;
3) Checked my World Wide Web Publishing service was using the System Account;
4) Checked my DNS service was running;
5) Uninstall/Reboot/Install IIS from CD; (3 times)

I'm kind of confued with inconsistent information like "check the web master properties" Where the hell is that? I can't find this anywhere!! or "there will be an asterisk indicating the server" on my IIS my computer name appears with no asterisk, but IIS is up and running apparently, is that right?

Please, I can't believe it's been almost a week, I can't have this working, and I didn't even tried my stuff yet, this is just trying to run the default ASP files installed by IIS... :( It's so frustrating!!

I'm an old guy trying to catch up with some newer technology... but I confess I'm about to give up!

Please help me here!

Thanks guys!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back