Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 5.0 & Oracle 9i problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

murrry

Technical User
Sep 25, 2002
US
Hello,

I'm fairly new at all this. My background is in networking/server admin. Recently I've dabbled in setting up a web server on a Windows 2000 server with ASP pages hitting an oracle (8i) database. I had it working with good results.

Here's where the problem comes in. Just recently my boss upgraded Oracle to 9i and all of a sudden it stopped working. Go figure. To no avail I haven't figured it out yet. I'm using MDAC 2.7 sp1 and all along I've been running Front Page Server Extensions 2002 and IE 6.0 sp1. I made sure the Apache service was disabled too. And still nothing. The default home page works fine but nothing with ASP or ADO. Any ideas on what to try next???? I'm losing my hair over this one....

Thanks,
MARY

Just a question are you using the ODBC Drivers from Oracle?

Rich Cook -- "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Actually we just found out the reason why the problem was occuring. It was the ODBC drivers and the tnsnames.ora file. Before determining this I uninstalled IIS and the server extensions and re-installed them and set up a new website. It wasn't until then, that we discovered that it wasn't the IIS that was the problem. Turns out that upgrading to 9i also upgrades the ODBC for Oracle driver, therefore rendering the system DSN entries under it useless. It also changed the tnsnames.ora file. So after deleting and re-creating the system dsn entries and fixing the tnsnames.ora file everything magically worked again. I defintely learned a whole lot in a 4 hour period!

Thanks for your reply and hope someone will benefit from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back