Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 4.0 not able to see localhost or 127.0.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBaraz

Programmer
Jul 9, 1999
US
IIS 4.0 us not able to see localhost or 127.0.0.1... I have modified the host file in WINNT\system32\drivers\etc to include that. I can go to a command windows and ping both successfully.<br>
<br>
Thoughts?

the loopback address is physically wired inside the network card. Check to see if it is correcty installed with the right address and IRQ. Check for the latest drivers also.<br>
<br>

The answer lies in the proxy settings.... I have this machine on the inside of the firewall. Therefore the browser was set to the gateway IP... that machine does not resolve 127.0.01 nor localhost for other machines. Therefore I needed to put an exclusion in the browser for these two IP address/names. Voila

I've got this same problem on an intranet I am working on behind a firewall.&nbsp;&nbsp;How do you go about entering the exclusion for the IP address and name for localhost?

I am having the same problem, and its 2 years since this post was started!

If anyone knows how to 'exclude' these IP addresses I would be eternally gratefull.

I have IE6 and IIS 5 on XP Pro at home but it may still apply.
See Control Panel / Internet Options/ Connections / Lan Settings / Proxy Server. FRrm there, look at Bypass proxy for local addresses and possibly Advanced to exclude IP addresses. Generate Forms/Controls Resizing/Tabbing Class
Compare Code (Text)
Generate Sort Class in VB or VBScript

I'm afraid I've discovered the problem was totally unrelated to the exclusion problem, although I suspect that you were right in your advice.

I found bad sectors on my hard drive, so I uninstalled and re-installed and it worked. All I've got to do now is sort the hard drive out!

Thanks for trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back