Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIF statement in Access 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

nospace52

Technical User
Jan 28, 2003
US
I'm putting together a database which has employee's Name and also a field called remarks.
In the Remarks field could be APPT/AM and I'm trying to use
the IIF statement to set the remarks to OUT if it matches.

This is the sql but when I run it nothing appears in the REMARKS field.
SELECT TestIf.Remarks
FROM TestIf
WHERE ((([TESTIF].[REMARKS])=IIf([TESTIF].[REMARKS]="APPT/AM",[TESTIF].[REMARKS]="AM",[TESTIF].[REMARKS]=[TESTIF].[REMARKS])));

Can any one tell me what I'm doing wrong or how to fix the
problem ?

Thanks

< I want to work in Theory - everything and everybody works in Theory !!>

You can not change data with a SELECT statement, nor with an IIf function. What you need is an UPDATE statement.

UPDATE TestIf
SET TestIf.Remarks = &quot;AM&quot;
WHERE TestIf.Remarks = &quot;APPT/AM&quot;

If you want to change APPT/AM to AM and also change APPT/PM to PM, you could use two separate UPDATE statements, or you could use nested IIf() functions in this manner:

UPDATE TestIf
SET TestIf.Remarks = IIf(TestIf.Remarks = &quot;APPT/AM&quot;, &quot;AM&quot;, IIf(TestIf.Remarks = &quot;APPT/PM&quot;, &quot;PM&quot;, TestIf.Remarks))

Understand, though, that it is not the IIf() that is updating the data, it's the SET clause. The IIf() just returns a value to the program, it doesn't store it in the database.

Rick Sprague
Want the best answers? See faq181-2886
To write a program from scratch, first create the universe. - Paraphrased from Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back