Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IGMP multicast from XP box locksup router

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze777

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
US
I have a small network sharing a SBC DSL connection using a speedstream 5100b modem and a USR 8003 Broadband Router. PPPoE is on the modem and the router does DHCP on the Lan side. There are two win98se machines and two winxp pro machines on the network. The 98 boxes work fine with no problems as long as the xp boxes are not connected to the network. If I connect an xp box shortly after the router locks up. When I examine the log file I find the following entry twice - "UNKOWN from:192.168.1.100 to:224.0.0.22 Unkown IP Protocol is detected"

Any suggestions?

I'd make sure you do not have either the Sasser or Blaster worms on your machine as they both used IGMP i believe to transmit/spread.

Take a look at "What are Good Virus/Spyware?Update/Firewall Practices?" faq779-5240

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back