Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ifconfig

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveleo

Programmer
Mar 2, 2002
US
hello
i jammed up my HP-UX 10.x machine by typing in this command exactly as follows.....

ifconfig lan0 99.99.99.102 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 99.99.99.255

where lan0 is the network inteface i want to configure.

at that point, it locked up solid and i eventually had no choice but to cut power...... upon reboot, the machine gives me a FAIL at one of the LAN checks and will not boot the CDE, though i do have a console $ at this point.

i believe the command should have been
ifconfig lan0 inet 99.99.99.102 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 99.99.99.255

before i go in and do further damage, can anyone confirm the correct syntax for this command....i have two sys admin books here with 2 different command formats.

thanks, in advance

daveleo

Command looks pretty good to me, but if uncertain, do the setup via Sam and then afterwards look in the Sam log for the command for future reference.

thanks for the replies.
i did finally hack my way to to the CDE and got it networked and to the internet.....though not quite sure exactly how i crashed it.

daveleo

If in doubt - do it via sam and look at the logs.

Purists will tell you that sam is evil and that only the ways of the command line lead to expertise and achievement - but they're mistaken :)

Knowing how to do something, the syntax, can always be reached via man or something; knowing *what* to do is the trick.

Mike

"Deliver me from the bane of civilised life; teddy bear envy."

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq219-2884

thanks for the idea of using SAM logs.

however the unit would not boot up to the CDE and was giving me a fraction of a second for the console login prompt before it cycled trying to restart the CDE again..... so getting SAM up at that point was (i think) not possible.

i even tried going in from the outside via Omni-X but of course the CDE would not boot that way either.

the backdrop to all this is that any monkey (me) can buy and operate a unix machine, but somewhere nearby should be an expert.

daveleo

Hi Dave, as a brutal measure you could boot up to single user mode by answering yes to the interact prompt. at this point you would type in "hpux -is". Then when the system comes up you can "mountall", set your term type and then use "vi" to edit the /etc/rc.config.d/netconf file. There is an entry about 7 or 8 lines down the file where the "hostname" is stored. Just delete the host name and do a reboot "shutdown -ry 0" and the machine will come up in "instant ignition mode" which will ask you all the right questions about configuring your lan
hope this helps
malvin

thanks malvin
i will add that to my bag of tricks.
i have a new machine arriving today....cant imagine how much trouble i'll be in by midnight!

daveleo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back