Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ifconfig error

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyS

Programmer
May 15, 2001
GB
I've installed SCO Unix 5.0.5 onto an IBM Netfinity 3500 and have installed two network cards(at different times) - a 3Com and a Dlink.
I've disabled the on board ethernet card as this has loose connection, but when I try an
ifconfig -p net1 192.x.x.x
command I get the following errors with both cards-

/etc/slink: Function "boot_net1" redefined
ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCGIFFLAGS):no such interface

Any ideas what this means?

Thanks

Why are you using -p? Is it because when you type ifconfig -a the "net1" device is not listed?

Are the cards both listed okay in scoadmin network (a.k.a. netconfig)? Annihilannic.

I've got this problem when I relink the kernel after removed a nework card under single user mode just yesterday, firstly, I search the google and hope to get a resolution, Adn I came to this post. I strike with this problem all today, now I've got it!

when you got this message: "/etc/slink: Function "boot_net1"(or something like boot_net0) redefined" , it means that there are more than one function call statement like "boot_net1" in the file /etc/strcf, you can delete the redundant entry, delete a COUPLE entry a time, one is the function call statment, the other is the function. another file your should noticed is /etc/rc2.d/S85tcp, use the pattern "ifconfig" to search the file , be sure there are not the reduntant entry. after all above job done, you can now call the /etc/conf/cf.d/link_unix to rebuild the kernel, now it is OK?

NOTICE:before you delete something, you shoud backukp the file first. good lucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back