Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

If-Then results on a continuous form

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilinPCH

Technical User
Jul 27, 2000
US
Hello,

If you care, this is a continuation of a post I wrote on 3/12 about "Inventory Tracking..." I have not been able to make your suggestions work - I think I boxed myself into a corner because of dropdown boxes, format, and subforms. Anyway, this is my new solution to flag against creating negative inventory - but of course this poses a new problem...

The user will enter the products to sell into an invoice form. When they go to save/process the order, a form will pop up that lists:

item id# item name quantity of item requested current inventory of item

all of the info is pulled from a query based on the data entered into the form, exept the "current inventory of item" - which is pulled from another query using DLookup.

All of this works great! I realized I had to use a continuous form or datasheet format for this form because a user will want to sell more than one item. The final piece to this puzzle is that I wanted to write an If-then statement to flag those items ordered that would create a negative value and thus stop the order saving process. I wrote the following if-then statement to check the values of quantity ordered vs. quantity on hand and to put a message in a text box. PROBLEM IS that the code only runs one time and gives that value to all the instances of the text box on my continuous form. How would I tell the code to run per each instance / row that appears on the form??

Private Sub Form_GotFocus()
Dim strInv As Integer ' true inventory quantity on hand
Dim strQ As Integer 'quantity requested to sell
strInv = Val(InvTrue)
strQ = Val(Qty)

TextMsg.SetFocus
If strInv < Qty Then TextMsg.Text = &quot;Rejected&quot;
If strInv > Qty Then TextMsg.Text = &quot;ok&quot;
End Sub

You most understand that continues forms has a problem that if the textbox is unbounded, than each value you will right to this textbox will have an effect on all record, the only work around I have find is to make an extra field in the underlying table and to bound this textbox to that field than each textbox can have a different value.

Jn88

If I'm understanding what you wrote, I can't bind a value back to the table/query, since the quantity of items ordered would be different each time. Is the only way around this to create a form with, say 15 lines - space for the user to process 15 records, and then the if-then would work on each instance?

I think not (therefore I am Not?),

the &quot;function&quot; needs to be attached to the control in the detail section.

TextMsg.ControlSource:
=IIf(strInv < Qty, &quot;Rejected&quot;, &quot;ok&quot;)

Of course strInv and Qty should be replaced by the FIELD NAMES of their respective sources.

MichaelRed
redmsp@erols.com

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back