Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IF THEN ELSE caluclated column

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thant

Technical User
Dec 31, 2007
US
Greetings,
Here is my problem. I have a large custom list and most all of the responses are set as pull downs. The three responses are as follows:
1 Negative/Adverse Impact
2 Neutral Impact
3 Positive Benificial Impact
I need to convert these items into something that can be averaged. I realize that I could just put them in as straight numbers and that would do it but im afraid this would cause confusion for my users. My question is this could I use something like and IF THEN ELSE here? I am NOT a programmer and am way outside of my depth but I would picture it to be something like this
Code:
If {field name} = 1 Negative/Adverse Impact THEN 1 ELSE 
IF 2 Neutral Impact THEN 2 ELSE 
3 Positive Impact THEN 3
What I would need to do then is take all of those numerical values and create an Average calculation on them.

I hope this makes sense and I look forward to your response
Thanks

Anything worth doing is worth messing up at least 5 times before you get it right!

Is this in an Excel workbook?

Given your example, assuming that it is Excel and your data is in column A, beginning in row 2
[tt]
A2: 1 Negative/Adverse Impact

B2: =Value(Left(A2,1))
[/tt]
the formula in B2 would return 1.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

It is in a sharepoint calculated column which to my understanding has the same calculation capabilities as excel, but not the same cell layout
Thanks

Anything worth doing is worth messing up at least 5 times before you get it right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back