Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

If Then...Decode Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

RptSm

MIS
Dec 28, 2004
US
Does anyone know how to create the if then function in a derived field? I need to create a field that calculates annualized earnings. I keep trying to create the field using the decode function but it isn't working properly.

If PayFreq = B and RateType = S
Then Rate1* 26
Else if
If PayFreq = W and RateType = H
Then (Rate1* 40)*52

thanks

This should work

Decode(PayFreq,
'B',Decode(RateType,'S',(Rate1 * 26),0),
'W',Decode(RateType,'H',((Rate1 * 40) * 52),0),
0)

CharlesCook.com
ADP - PeopleSoft - SAP
ReportSmith - Crystal Reports - SQR - Query - Access
Reporting - Interfaces - Data Mining

Thanks but I forgot a part, we have both Salaried employees paid weekly & biweekly plus straight hourly weekly. I need to include all 3 variables. Like the following but it doesn't work. Any suggestions.

Decode("REPORTS"."V_EMPLOYEE"."PAYFRQ",
'W',Decode("REPORTS"."V_EMPLOYEE"."RATETYPE",'S',( "REPORTS"."V_EMPLOYEE"."RATE1AMT" * 52),0),
'B',Decode("REPORTS"."V_EMPLOYEE"."RATETYPE",'S',( "REPORTS"."V_EMPLOYEE"."RATE1AMT"* 26),0),
'W',Decode("REPORTS"."V_EMPLOYEE"."RATETYPE",'H',(( "REPORTS"."V_EMPLOYEE"."RATE1AMT" * 40) * 52),0),
0)

The decode would never get to the second "W" code.

This should work

Decode("REPORTS"."V_EMPLOYEE"."PAYFRQ",
'B',Decode("REPORTS"."V_EMPLOYEE"."RATETYPE",'S',("REPORTS"."V_EMPLOYEE"."RATE1AMT" * 26),0),
'W',Decode("REPORTS"."V_EMPLOYEE"."RATETYPE",
'S',("REPORTS"."V_EMPLOYEE"."RATE1AMT" * 52),
'H',(("REPORTS"."V_EMPLOYEE"."RATE1AMT" * 40) * 52),
0),
0)

CharlesCook.com
ADP - PeopleSoft - SAP
ReportSmith - Crystal Reports - SQR - Query - Access
Reporting - Interfaces - Data Mining

Your right. The decode wasn't going to the second W. I will try this thanks and let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back