Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

If no data, then no report generated. How to do? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2002
US
I would like to create a report, that is generated only if there is data. If there is no data, then there is no report to be distributed.
I have Bus. Objects Edge, Crystal XI R2.
I heard a guy at the Oct 2009 Users conference in Dallas who did this. I can't remember exactly how he did it, but I think he created a report based on an Event.

Any ideas?
Thank you.

When there's no data, all data fields will be null. Test on something that won't normally be null. Use Selective Section Suppression.

Right-click on the section and choose Format Section. Then choose the formula icon (x+2 and a pencil) for suppression. Add a test, in your case null.

Do this for all sections and the report comes out blank.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Crystal 2008 with SQL and Windows XP [yinyang]

Take a look at rolling your report into a publication. When scheduling publications, there is an option to not deliver the report if there is no data.

Another option is to create a formula that will raise an error if the data is null. The report will fail if there is no data, so there will be no distrubution.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back