Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

If I change tnsnames.ora should I restart oracle 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenpee

Programmer
Aug 3, 2004
US
Hi,

I changed my tnsnames.ora add add a new connection without reboot oracle. I got TNS: no liserner for the both old and new. Thanks

No. Just restart the application you are running to access the database.

Check your TNSnames file format is correct and that all SID or SERVICES are correctly defined, along with the port number (usually 1521 or 1526).

Also ensure the SQLNET.ora file matches the format expected in the TNSnames file. ie. Some SQLNET files specify a domain of .world which means the entries in TNSnames COMMUNITY must also match the domain.

Is your listener running?

Green,

Changes to the tnsnames.ora take effect immediately. Re-booting Oracle has no effect upon tnsnames.ora files. If you are seeing the error, "TNS: no liserner", then it is not a database issue. I would check to ensure that the listener on the target machine is behaving properly. On the machine that domiciles your target database, at the o/s prompt, issue the command: "lsnrctl". At the Listener control prompt, enter the command, "status"; you should see the SID of your target instance. That is a good place to start. If that troubleshooting bears no fruit, let us know and we diagnose further.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 17:22 (01Oct04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"), 10:22 (01Oct04) Mountain Time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back