Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IF Function with INDEX and MATCH Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmese

Technical User
Dec 11, 2002
US

I have the following formula, which is getting me very close to what I need:

=IF(B37="Fairchild Imaging","TCGROUP")&(INDEX($B$50:$C$681,MATCH($A$66,$B$50:$B$681,0),2))

Some Background:

I have the user make a selection from a ComboBox (i.e. user chooses "Option 1" and cell B37 displays "VENLLC" based on the INDEX/MATCH function). Next, based on the selection from ComboBox1, ComboBoxes 2-11 are populated with choices for the user to select. Out of the twenty or so choices in CB's 2-11, cell B37 should display "VENLLC" upon the selection of any choice in the CB -- with the exception of the user selecting "Fairchild Imaging".

If the user chooses "Fairchild Imaging", I need cell B37 to say "TCGROUP". When I use the above function with the "&" sign, I am getting "TCGROUPVENLLC" and I need just "TCGROUP". My guess is that the solution lies in the "&" property. I essentially want to keep my INDEX/MATCH function the same but need a way to incorporate the "Fairchild Imaging" exception.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Will

=IF(B37="Fairchild Imaging","TCGROUP",INDEX($B$50:$C$681,MATCH($A$66,$B$50:$B$681,0),2))

display what you want to?

Hey Palmese - if Combo's answer helped you (which I'm pretty sure it did), you should award a star. This is done by clicking on the "Mark this post as a helpful or expert post" under the post that helped you. This is the Tek-Tips recognised way of saying thanks and it also helps people searching the archives to find good answers to questions that are similar to theirs, without having to re-post. Rgds
Geoff

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back