Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

If file exists 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamish75

Technical User
Dec 18, 2009
GB
I have the following code that updates a SQL database with a record. This works fine.

Code:
For i = 0 to Ubound(num)
if len(num(i))=2 then

rs = "INSERT INTO Model ([BusinessID], [Model Code], [Model Description])"
rs = rs & " VALUES"
rs = rs & "('" & first_part & "', '" & num(i) & "', '"  & "Model Code " & num(i) & " for Business " & second_part  & "')"
else
Response.Redirect("test.asp?a=not a valid entry")
end if

Set obj_RS1 = obj_CN.Execute(rs, adBoolean)

Next

Response.Redirect("test.asp?a=added")

What I’d like to do is produce another Response.Redirect if the record already exists.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Ah dinnae ken...

Code:
For i = 0 to Ubound(num)

if len(num(i))=2 then

rs = "INSERT INTO Model ([BusinessID], [Model Code], [Model Description])"
rs = rs & " VALUES"
rs = rs & "('" & first_part & "', '" & num(i) & "', '"  & "Model Code " & num(i) & " for Business " & second_part  & "')"

else

Response.Redirect("test.asp?a=not a valid entry")

end if

ON ERROR RESUME NEXT

Set obj_RS1 = obj_CN.Execute(rs, adBoolean)

if err.number <> 0 then
 response.redirect "errorpage.asp"
 response.end
end if

ON ERROR GOTO 0   'Back to normal behavior

Next

Response.Redirect("test.asp?a=added")
[code]

Works perfect! Thank you for your help!

Ah dinnae ken...

Foxbox, Do you know if is there another way of doing this without using the ON ERROR RESUME NEXT?

Thank you.

Ah dinnae ken...

i believe we came to the conclusion (in another TT thread) that the best way of preventing duplicates in a table is to define a unique key index.

You may rewrite things so your program start with a check if the record exist, and if not do the INSERT.... but what if 2 people do an update at the same moment (oke, changes maybe extreme low, but still this might happen). If you are dead sure only 1 user is working (eg because its an admin function, and you're the only admin) then it might work.

What is your problem with ON ERROR?

I really just wanted to see an alternative. I wasn't sure if it was the best method.

Thanks for your help!

Ah dinnae ken...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back