Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IEXPLORE.EXE fails to load properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotoGeek

Technical User
Dec 28, 2008
US
Some times, it loads well --> shows 30MB+ memory usage in Task manager.
Many times, it shows memory usage of 17MB+ and fails to load the user interface...
Any one experienced this ?
Malwarebytes and Spybot show no culprits..
Thanks

Hi,
Anything relevant in the Event Log?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Try an SFC /SCANNOW to see if that fixes any problematic system files.

Use the RESET option in IE to set everything back to defaults. Prior to that, you could disable all the add-ons and see if it will work, then turn half of them ON an see if the problem happens. If NOT, switch the half that is turned ON and see if the problem happens - trying to narrow it down to the 1st 50% of the add-ons or the last 50%.

What version? If IE7 or IE8, try running in no add-ons mode and see if it behaves. Start run, iexplore.exe -extoff, OK

That did it...

Without -extoff, I get IEXPLORE.EXE in Task Manager with 17+MB

With -extoff, I get IEXPLORE.EXE in Task Manager with 27+MB, and IE opens with (Is this expected ?)

Any how, what is causing this and what should I do next ?

Thanks a lot !

That means one of IE's plugins or add-ons is failing or hanging when it loads.

By using the extoff switch you make IE load without any addons.

You'll have to check which add-ons are causing the problem.

So now that you have IE loaded, go to Tools, Manage Add-ons and disable all of them.

Close IE and open again but this time normally.

If it opens o.k. enable one add-on, close, and try again.

Keep enabling add-ons until you get the unwanted behavior back make a note of which add-on it was and see if there's an updated version for it, or just keep it disabled.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

What did I say in my previous posts?? I told you how to troubleshoot the issue using the 50% method.

The problems went away after I uninstalled the Yahoo Tool Bar and associated 'extras' from the control panel --> add/remove programs.

Thanks for your suggestions...

Sorry - I wasn't talking to the original poster. I was talking to everyone that suggested the same thing AFTER me. It's like an echo, echo echo........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back