Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE9 Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyboy

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
Greetings,

I am running IE9 on a Dell with Vista Operating system. Everything is up to date from Microsoft. Recently, when I open IE, my homepage opens and then after 10 seconds the page turns white and the word 'undefined' shows up. All other web pages seem to work correctly.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks for your help!

Do you have Java installed? Is it up to date? Link

What is the web page?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Greetings,

I used your link and confirmed that Java was up to date. The link is my personalized homepage at Earthlink.
Thanks for your help!

Sent a little too fast. FWIW, my other computer is running W7 and Foxfire and the page opens flawlessly.

Load Firefox on problem computer - test. What happens?
Install CCleaner and clean out temp files. Any improvement?
Run this Micorsoft Fix It. Then test. Link
Last option - reset IE. Link

In addition to goombawaho's suggestions, I would have a look at Manage Addons, see if there are any surprises. And a malware scan with, for example, Malwarebytes AntiMalware might help

Yep to what guitarzan said. I was focusing just on what makes IE broken/cranky which could be lots of things, but malware is ALWAYS a possibility.

Greetings,

Loaded FF and the page ran flawlessly. Working on the next steps. Turned off all addins in IE and page had the same behavior. Also noted that when opening the page the first time in IE in the morning it works flawlessly. Then if you go to another tab and then back to the homepage (which is the problem page) it appears and within 3 seconds goes to a white page with the word undefined in the upper left corner.

Of course this behavior is what has been going on all along, however, I possibly haven't shared everything I am seeing.

Scan still running...

Thanks again for helping troubleshoot this issue!

Oh, another thing to try (since earthlink.net uses flash) is to update Flash Player in IE

The fact that it opens the first time fine and then fails after that... can't figure out that clue yet.

If it was bugging me enough, I would try it as a different user (with Admin rights .... not sure what rights the account you use has)........ and also try in Safe Mode with Networking, see if it happens.

Back to step one.
What is the homepage?
Java...most home users don't need it and it's a ruddy security nightmare. Remove it and see if you actually need it.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Greetings,

Quarantined several files found by Mal Ware and things are working OK. THanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back