Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE9 is fine - IE10/11 can't access tempnetfiles with Users on D:\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leozack

MIS
Oct 25, 2002
GB
Throwing this out here cos it's drivin me mad - I've got a clean win7 x64 ultimate - including moving c:\users to d:\users (I know about the various methods/risks etc) but my only remaining problem is that if I upgrade IE9 to 10/11 then it loses the ability to deal with the tempnetfiles meaning Ican't save and outlook breaks too. I've tried various like taking ownership of my profile folder, deleting reg entries, moving the folder etc etc
see attached pic for IE9 vs IE11 temp net files window.
The problem is shown here
I've also been through these and others
Any thoughts anyone? It's the only thing causing me to want to do a fresh install 1 month on :/

Any thoughts anyone?

Switch to Linux instead of Windows

or

Use Firefox, Opera or Google Chrome instead of Infernet Exploder.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

As useful as telling someone to use a bike because their car has problems ;P
Besides - the problem isn't restricted to IE if you look at it - it effects anything tempnetfiles usage including outlook. And don't say "use webmail/thunderbird" as that's equally pointless :p

Actually, Outlook uses Infernet Exploder to render HTML in the preview and message containers so IE IS the only problem.

And IE has screwing up with "roaming profiles" and 'non-standard profile locations' in one way or another since 1995 so I don't expect that is going to change any time soon.

The solution in earlier times (when I could be bothered with M$ problems) was to install the Internet Explorer Administrator Kit (IEAK) which didn't always help.

Failing that stick with IE9 until M$ fixes their cockup. (but don't hold your breath while waiting for it to happen)

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

Yeah I'm aware IE rendering in OL is why - my point is using another browser doesn't solve the problem so saying don't use IE is pointless.
I've had plenty of IE-problem free times since 95 including roaming profiles and I've supported networks with plenty more fun environments than this - but since other people seem to have got round the problem I figured maybe some of them might read these forums. Of course I could put a junction in from C:\users to D:\users or something but hey was trying to avoid that

Of course it's possible that in an age where many power users have SSDs for windows and seperate off their userdata to another drive that people are either not fulling relocating the users folder or that they are and they don't mind the IE problem because they don't use IE or outlook or any other tempnetfile usage - but I figure this can't apply to all such users

Ok so noone has any answers except to dodge the problem? That's disappointing. I was sure enough people have changed their user locations to have got round this. Perhaps I'll try a junctino point when I get time to test

Ok so noone has any answers except to dodge the problem?

Hey, it's Microsoft, sometimes dodging the issue IS the only way :)

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

Just realised the original post links are broke so reposting ...
The problem is shown here
I've also been through these and others
Adding a junction point from c:\users to d:\users hasn't helped either

Ok so I made a new VM to try and reproduce the problem. Installed win7 ultimate x64 on it. Installed IE9. Installed IE11. No problem! Didn't expect that ...

So I rebuilt this actual PC from scratch again and this time I made sure to only move c:\users to d:\users and not to mess about with c:\programdata which I'd had to move back last time.

Installed IE11 - no problem! Yay!

So I installed rounds and rounds of updates, office 2010, some programs and drivers and utils.

Bang - problem was back :(

I system restored back and went through installing all the updates 5-6 a time and checking a reboot after each round that the problem hadn't returned

I installed office bit by bit and kept checking - no problem.

I installed software again - no problem.

I installed drivers - and lo & behold when I installed the Intel Storage Matrix to keep tabs on my RAID config, the problem returned! WHY! How has that got anything to do with tempnetfiles or whatever? Such madness ....

Eitherway I've rolled back and now I dunno what to do - there is no newer version of it listed here
or here
but without it I don't have info on my RAID and not sure if I will see it verify the raid after a failed shutdown (or if it even will).

Ideas? How is it causing this problem?? I had both IE11 and IMSM on here before I rebuilt in the summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back