Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE9 install says successful but won't install IE9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konglow

Technical User
Aug 7, 2005
IE9 install says Service Pack 1 is not installed. Have inatalled successfully 5 times and IE9 install refuses due to lack of Service Pack 1. Any way to get it recognized?

To fix use Firefox or Chrome. [bigglasses]

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Or try uninstalling SP1, reinstalling and installing SP2. If SP 2 errors or wont let you install then you have a problem with your SP1 install. Are you using the correct 32bit or 64bit install?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Konglow:

IE9 requires Vista SP2, not SP1. Do you have SP2 installed?

Also I'm not understanding the subject "IE9 install says successful but won't install IE9"... Does it install? Not install? Start to install but errors out? Completes the install but does not run?

Was loving IE9 but when replaced hard drive it auto loaded IE7 (don't like). Caught up on all MS updates and was verified that SP1 and SP2 were installed (successful). When trying to install IE9 I kept being told that SP1 was missing. Reloaded SP1 and was listed as Successful (4 times). Downloaded IE9 but would not install and kept telling me SP1 was needed. Switched to Chrome but miss IE9. I suppose I will get used to Chrome but can someone tell me the advantages to Chrome and maybe I won't miss IE9 so much.

Forget IE9. I just uninstalled SP2 and restarted. Downloaded SP1 "Successfully". Installed SP1 "Successfully". I can't find it anywhere. When I check for updates it says SP1 is needed. Same thing every time I try. Removing SP2 doesn't seem to have mattered. Not installing SP2 till SP1 is verified. Any idea about the cycle SP1 keeps making and why it's not recognized?

I would start with a sfc /scannow and a chkdsk /r from the command prompt and the do a Windows Repair if, after trying to uninstall any SP, installing CCleaner and running it on the reg side at least, and allowing Windows Update to download and install SP1 and 2, and it still doesnt work.

Can you link to the DL you are trying? Is it possible it is the incorrect one?

I tried all suggestions and found no fix. I tried with SP2 but it still asked for SP1. I have downloaded SP1 many, many times and I'm told each time that all was downloaded "successfully". Each time I'm told that install was "successfully" installed. Of course it is not acknowledged and can't be found any where. I have uninstalled and rebooted, downloaded and installed "successfully" but still get the same window asking for SP1.It's keeping me from many applications. I did try a Windows repair and it still repeats same request for SP1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back