Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE9 Document Modes completely busted

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenhalo

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2008
US
Hello all,

I have a co-worker with a very strange problem that I've never seen or heard of, and Google has not been informative. He cannot even use IE9 on his own machine because webpages refuse to display properly or at all (and he is a web developer, so it sucks really badly for him). After doing a remote session with him, I have figured out that it is being caused somehow by the Document Modes in the Developer Tools.

For example: On my machine, when I go cnn.com in IE9, the website will automatically render in "IE8 Standards" which is fine for that website based on the DocType displayed in the pages header. However, if I go on his machine and try to visit cnn.com in the exact same Document Mode, I get a blank white page. If I select "IE7 Standards" on his machine, the website appears to display properly, but none of the links work. I am only able to get the webpage to work if I select "Quirks Mode".

Another good example is w3.org... It displays perfectly for me, but on his machine it will not display properly in ANY of the Document Modes, even though all of the Document Modes will display it differently. We have of course tried resetting IE9 back to defaults and uninstalling/reinstalling, but no joy. I also have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Developer Tools, and also no joy. If we uninstall IE9 and revert back to IE8, IE8 displays all websites exactly as they should and works perfectly.

These are only a couple examples, but almost all websites for him will not display correctly. Has anyone had this issue or have any idea how we can fix this? Many thanks!

Brad L.
Systems Engineer
Prestige Technologies

"Some things Man was never meant to know. For everything else, there's Google.

For anyone interested, we have finally figured out the problem and a resolution. The issue related to Adobe Type 1 fonts. We wrote a blog article here specifying the issue and resolution.
Brad L.
Systems Engineer
Prestige Technologies

"Some things Man was never meant to know. For everything else, there's Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back