Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE9 and opening pdf downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMCT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
I've been beating my head in on this one. I don't regularly use IE as I'm a FF/Chrome user. But I have a number of users who rely on it. The web site they are using generates its print as a pdf and automatically downloads it to the browser. There is a window that pops up with a link to "Open the Adobe PDF file in a new window". They click this, the window opens and they can view/print/etc.

They've requested to have this open happen automatically so if they are busy and miss the popup they don't have to wait to click on it as it will display by itself. In FF this all works just fine. But, as can be expected, the authors of the site have customized output to IE (Yeah, I know). So we've got to live with it.

I've searched similar issued on this site as well as many other forums without any workable solutions. If anyone can provide some guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. [smile]

I have seen this in our work environemnt also, we make everyone use ie8.

Evidently, ie9 was created by microsoft to protect the sheeple from bad things, there is no easy way to turn off but I believe there is a reg hack out there. I will see what I can find as I have seen it.

Thanks. I'll be looking as well.
Remember though, Steve Ballmer stated it was the PC manufacture's fault that Windows is not working well!!!

hmmm

In adobe:
edit/preferences/security or maybe internet (i think), check box to open pdf in browser

Also:

In IE9 Tools:
1. Go To Internet Options
2. Click Advanced Tab
3. Deselect "Enable Integrated Windows Authentication*"
4. Restart your web browser

Thanks for the detail rmgates. I applied the two changes detailed, one in adobe reader, the other in IE9 Internet Options, restarted and tried again. No luck.

I'll keep digging but thank you for your research and responses. If I come up with a resolution I will post as a response here.

Bob [nosmiley]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back