Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE9 & FF won't stay open

Status
Not open for further replies.

win286

MIS
Jun 10, 2002
US
Hi All,

Have an issue with a customer's laptop running Win 7 64bit, IE9. There was a hard disk error in the logs weeks earlier but windows shows it was handled and all was ok. There were many issues, most related to drivers, video tools, and the like.

Now the remaining issues are that any browser installed or portable will loop restarts with errors, and Control Panel >> System Properties causes Windows Explorer to restart.

I can open these in safe mode but not in normal mode with no addons. I removed everything from the start up, reset IE, uninstalled & reinstalled IE, added FireFox Portable which didn't work either.

I can run any other app, Word, Excel, Acrobat Reader, any of the other Control Panel apps, Printer Properties, etc... They don't use an email client and avg downloads updates no problem.

During testing found bad stick of ram but no change after removing (8gb > 4gb).

Created a new user, no change.

Ran disk scans several times and no errors / bad spots reported. Ran SFC several times with no errors. Manually looked for trouble on the drive & in the registry. Deleted all temp files. Ran several registry tools (regfix, fixwin, spybot, cc cleaner, asc, hijack this, various vb scripts, etc...), uninstalled & reinstalled avg & avast... Ran both AVs no virus, malware, trojan, no nothin'. Everything else looks good and works... just the browsers & system properties.

TIA,

Looks like you have spent a ton of time on this, but one has to wonder, why you haven't cut your loses, and just went with a fresh install of windows? HDD errors, and a bad dimm, and it sounds like a corruption issue on the OS, If it was me, I'd run the manufactures diagnostics on the HDD, if it tests good, I would go with a fresh install of windows, after saving what I could to a USB drive.

Not sure how to mark the post resolved.

Workaround for the browser issue was to check the box for Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering.

Still have the System Properties issue but the laptop is useable. Hope to finish that soon too.

And it takes people days, sometimes weeks to finally get a machine just the way they like so we try to fix it. It gives us an advantage in the neighborhood especially against geeksquid....

Thanks the reply,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back