Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE8 on XP sp3 - Windows Updates notification

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirChomps

MIS
Dec 14, 2007
CA
Windows Update notification says that it's ready to install. Of course, the default is Express and it will proceed. I want to know the directory that IE8 is downloaded to and would like to remotely delete it. That way, should an end-user see the yellow shield and tell Windows Update to install it; it would at least not be able to find the source file to actually proceed to install it. I have the IE8 Blocker on the system, but it was after Windows Update had got to this point. I have a select few I would like do this to, so that's why I'm wondering about a method I could do remotely.

You say you are blocking this update, are you also able to "Hide" the update via Windows Update, so it is not offered if it gets past your blocking, the way you can do it on a standalone machine?

Look at the Windows Updates log to see if you can fathom out where the downloaded files are run from. There is a SoftwareDistrubution folder in the Windows folder that would be worth checking. Another folder in Windows is called Installer, and there is even a folder if your lucky enough to have IE8 called IE8Updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back