Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ie8 doesn't open links with the "_blank" target

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddyrich2

Technical User
Apr 12, 2006
US
There is a known problem (according to many posts on the web) but I still cannot find a solution.

IE8 doesn't open links that are trying to be forced to a new page ("_blank"). They open fine on top of the existing page if nothing is specified.

This doesn't happen in previous versions of IE. I've tried browser settings, javascript, page headers that supposedly 'emulate ie7', but nothing works.

Any suggestions?

Can you post a link with an example of this problem. Despite that target="_blank" has been deprecated, it still works fine in IE8 under normal conditions. I suspect where it will not work is if the page itself is malformed (bad Document type or something).

OK.

The links on this page will not open form me in IE8. They will open fine if you right-click and say "open in new tab".

I listed both a pdf link and link to a regular web page.

I don't care about using 'target-"_blank" or not but I need the links to open in a new page - so what do I do?

Thanks!

I need the links to open in a new page - so what do I do?

Simple: holding down the Ctrl key while clicking any link (in both IE and Fx) will open it in a new tab. Holding the Shift key instead will open it in a new window.

This is much more desirable than forcing users to have links opened in new windows / tabs without giving them the choice. It's just a shame that 90% of people who write the specs for websites don't understand the term "pro choice", instead assumuing they know better than the users do themselves.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Tech Snippets & Info:

Also, if you have a 3 button mouse (scroll wheel is usually also a button), a middle click will open in a new tab/window.

With that said, the example links opened in new tabs as expected for me using IE8 on Vista32 & IE8 on XP despite the fact that the page does not validate.

By the way, test those same links using IE8 in 'no add-ons mode'. Start, Run, iexplore.exe -extoff or use the shortcut in Accessories, System Tools.

>The links on this page will not open form me in IE8

Not much help I know, but as with smah, both the links work fine for me under IE8 on XP SP2

OK.
Does it work under compatabilty mode in ie8?

What happens if under General > Tabs > Pop Ups. Set to open in new tab

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Well, these links still don't open for me, but maybe thats some browser setting.

BUT.... the more I surf the web using IE8 - the more I find links that won't open, unless of course you force them to by using "open in a new tab" or "open in a new browser". If this is some type of "security" feature in IE8 - I don't like it and I want to turn it off.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Did you try in no add-ons mode? I suspect that one of your add-ons is causing this behavior.

buddyrich2 said:
The links on this page will not open form me in IE8. They will open fine if you right-click and say "open in new tab".

For me, neither link opens in a new window (IE 8, XP, SP3)... because they trigger the popup blocker. Have you tried disabling the popup blocker altogether?

Also, I notice that the page you provided is using a strict DOCTYPE which doesn't allow the TARGET attribute anyway, so try creating a page that uses a different DOCTYPE (e.g. transitional, etc) that validates 100%, and then try.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Dan,

Out of curiosity, is the DOCTYPE problem you mention specific to IE8? .... because these pages work fine in earlier versions and other browsers.

The DOCTYPE is specific to the web page, not the browser. That's what I was referring to earlier when I said "despite the fact that the page does not validate". Your page has specified XHTML strict and the target attribute (_blank or otherwise) is not allowed according to that standard. See the validation results at
And once again ---- have you tested that behavior when running IE in no add-ons mode????????? Is there a reason that you don't answer that question?

Sorry Smah,

Yes, I tried this before I wrote the original post. I think it may be a setting in my browser since some other pages (some very well known) also give me the same problem.

Let me change the doctype setting to see if that helps.

Thanks again for your help.

Let me change the doctype setting to see if that helps.

You may as well get your pages to validate at the same time...it shouldn't take too long at all.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back