Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE8 Crash/Hang on Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomNativeNewYorker

Technical User
Oct 20, 2009
US
I had installed IE8 over a month ago because a few sites just dont play well with FF.

The install went well, and I had no problems whatsoever using IE8. Then all of a sudden on startup, it would just crash and hangup.

I tried removing and re-installing on several occasions.

No Joy.

Any idea if there is something else hidden I need to remove prior to another install?

Thanks

Running a Dell E-1705 with XP Media Center edition.

Maybe there is an incompatible add-on causing the issue? Have you tried running Internet Explorer without any add-ons enabled to see if the issue goes away? Go to Start >All Programs >Accessories >System Tools >select Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

If the issue does not occur when IE is ran like this, it would indicate that there is an incompatible add-on that is causing the problem. Look into updating any toolbars or other plug-ins that you currently have installed; uninstall or disable any that you do not use.

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

I ran IE8 as you directed without the add-ons. I started up OK. I disabled anything obvious that I did not need. Still no luck running as installed though.

Is there any way of finding out which add-on is causing the problem from the error displayed when IE8 crashes?

To find out which add-on is causing the issue first (if you haven’t already) run IE in no add-ons mode. Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) to see if one is causing the problem. If this fixes the issue, then go to Tools -> Manage Add-ons and change the Show setting on the left to All Add-ons, then select all of the add-ons listed and click Disable All. You can then enable the add-ons one by one to find which one is causing the problem.

Hope that helps.

Feran
Internet Explorer Outreach Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back