Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE8 & Firefox Bookmarks 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTGMI

Vendor
Jun 1, 2006
US
I can't believe how hard this has been. As a 15 yr IT pro ... I am stumped.

Was running XP on a PC and had a 100+ favorite websites saved in various folders. Also had about the same in Firefox.

Decided to install a new hard drive and a clean load of XP Pro and move the old C: drive to my E: so i could access old data.

I have looked everyhwere on the E: drive to pull the bookmarks and favorites back it the "new " IE8 and Firefox loaded on the C: drive.

No luck and no tech website can help that I've found.

A major STAR goes to the one who helps! Thanks

Hi

DTGMI said:
I have looked everyhwere on the E: drive to pull the bookmarks and favorites back it the "new " IE8 and Firefox loaded on the C: drive.
Should we understand that you are looking for kind of bookmark files ? Well, in case of FireFox version 3 and newer the bookmarks are stored in the moz_bookmarks table of the places.sqlite database. Note that the proper URLs are stored in the moz_places table.

Feherke.
[link feherke.github.com/][/url]

Thanks for the response ...

SO what process or steps do I go thru to pull them into my current Firefox browser to integrate them off the old drive's Firefox bookmarks database?

Hi

No idea. I never needed such thing. I always continued with all my old data, so I copied the entire ~/.mozilla/firefox/ directory. Of course, on Windows it is probably located elsewhere.

Feherke.
[link feherke.github.com/][/url]

For IE 8, it should be in c:\documents and settings\administrator\favorites (looks like a star) or c:\documents and settings\(account name)\favorites. And just copy the items in the favorites folder to the new favorites folder on the new c: drive.

Firefox is a little different, it uses a java script file *.json for storing bookmarks. It will be in C:\documents and settings\administrator (or user account)\application data (hidden folder)\mozilla\firefox\profiles\(strange set of char. i.e. y9stnba6l.default just choose a folder\bookmarkbackups\date.json (look for closest date of backup) Now once you find a good book mark backup, you can leave it there or move it to the desktop or root of c or something to make it easier to find again.

Open firefox. click bookmarks. click on unsorted bookmarks. click import and backup. click restore. choose from file, and browse to and click the *.json file you want to restore from.

I'll try that - thanks Rclarke250

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back