Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE7 Won't Recognize Local Area Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

byrne1

Programmer
Aug 7, 2001
US
I am connected to the internet via a cable modem, plus two routers - one for my ATT voip, and then a wireless router. My Email works fine - I can send and receive. My wireless works fine (this is how I am posting this) as I can surf the internet on my laptop. But when I try to access the internet on my home computer, IE comes up saying that it cannot disply the webpage (any webpage).

Here is how everything is connected:

PC -> Wireless -> Dlink VOIP Adapter -> Cable Modem

I can ping out to websites from the command prompt( and the pings work just fine.

I think I messed up the connection when I used the Network Setup Wizard to try to create a MSHOME network (share resources b/n my PC and laptop). But now I do not know how to reverse what I have done.

Can anyone help?

First thing to check on the problem machine:

Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Connections tab, LAN Settings button. Make sure nothting is checked.

The only thing checked there is to automatically detect settings.

Do you have a firewall running on that machine?
If so shut it down and see if you can surf.

Boy, do I feel stupid. My firewall was blocking IE traffic. I unblocked it, and presto - I'm now able to surf. Good grief!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back