Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE7 Password File Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfons

MIS
Jan 23, 2003
US
I just got my new Laptop and would like to transfer my autofil passwords from the old Computer for IE7. Is there any way to do this? I exported and imported the cookies without a problem but it would be nice to pull over the autofill passwords.

It would be interesting to see if this is possible but the password information is not stored in the IE config. On your old laptop, if you go into the Control Panel and into User Accounts, select the Advanced tab and click on Manage Passwords, that is where the password information is kept.

There is no export functionality for obvious security reasons so unless someone knows of a registry hack I don't know if you can transfer them between computers.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

I believe that the File & Settings Transfer Wizard will bring in all IE settings, including passwords. I don't know for sure if it works or how well it works with IE7, though.

This may be by design because of the security implications.

Passwords Are Not Migrated by the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard or User State Migration Tool

306541 - HOW TO: Manage Stored User Names and Passwords on a Computer That Is Not in a Domain in Windows XP

Behavior of stored user names and passwords

I notice that in Vista but not XP (unfortunately) the Managed Passwords section has the ability to backup and restore entries for import/export to or from another computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back