Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE7, on XP, deletes all cthe cookies and cached URL's

Status
Not open for further replies.

routerman

Technical User
Jul 15, 2002
GB
Hi, This is an annoying issue and I'm not sure why it has started to occur on my PC.

Often, but not always, when I start IE7 I find that I've lost all the URL's in the drop down box at the top of IE, and any stored usernames for sites I've visited. For instance when I check my webmail from this PC it would normally remember my email address, but now I find I've got to enter it each time I access that service. Its the same for any other web site where I need to log in to access services.

This has only started to happen within the last few months, and I am unable to find out why.

I'm running the free versions of AVG Anti-spyware and Anti-virus, could these be causing the problem? These programs have been installed far longer than this problem has existed for, so I doubt it, but I'm really not sure.

Also the history cache was full, which I tought may have been the problem, I cleared it, but it didnt make any difference.

What else should I check?

i would first look at any changes/installs/updates that you made (knowing or unknowingly) since you first noticed this problem.

alternately, i would check your settings in IE to see how it handles cookies and remembering passwords.

Go into tools - options on IE and check to see how many days of history you're keeping - this controls the URLS in the drop-down bar. Make sure the option that sounds like 'clean up personal data on exit' is not selected, and the box that says 'remember saved form data IS checked'. You can also tell it to remember passwords, etc. These are all located under the various tabs under options. It's possible someone or something messed with your IE "privacy" settings.

This can also happen if you run certain clean-up (ccleaner) and anti-spyware utilities if you tell them to remove all the cookies and saved data. Maybe these options in AVG got changed if they are there. I use AVG but not the anti-spyware part so I'm not sure.

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at these settings.

Also, are you using something like CCleaner or having the windows cleanup routine scheduled?

You could try resetting Internet Explorer settings. (Help and Support article)

"If disabling add-ons doesn't solve the problem, try resetting Internet Explorer back to its default settings. This removes all changes that have been made to Internet Explorer since it was installed, but it does not delete your favorites or feeds.

Close all Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows.

Click to open Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

Click Reset.

When you are done, click Close, and then click OK.

Close Internet Explorer and reopen it for the changes to take effect."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back