Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE7 disables LAN Settings For Power Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

flushie86

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2004
US
I work in a place with about 1200 computers and 150 servers. We have only now started to upgrade to IE7, a widely used program could only use IE6 we not longer use the program so the upgrade is possible. With IE6 powers users, we make everyone a power user, could change their proxy settings. We use proxys at all our sites, so the internet will not work without them. The only change made to a system is the install of IE7. Once installed the power users can no longer change LAN settings. This is very bad for us, especially for laptop users, as we have multiple guys away doing repairs, sales, etc. They need to be able to change those settings when they are away. We do not want to make everyone Admins on their laptops, a few users have a habit of installing anything and everything figuring it's helpdesk's job to fix it without losing the data. I figure we need to set a group policy to "disable" instead of "not configured" but I'm not 100% sure.

Insight?

You can allow users to modify LAN settings without making them admins via GPO.

Take a look at this.

Cheers,
Dian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back