Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 won't run

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTracy

Programmer
Feb 20, 2002
US
Hi all,
One of our workstations - XP-Pro on W2003 LAN - won't load and run the IE6. When the icon is pressed the browser opens momentarily then closes with a download dialog box open then a message box with a message stating the IE could not download from MSN.COM. When the Internet options are opened ( Right click icon and properties) the tabbed dialog only has Security, Connections, Programs, and Advanced tabs. All others are gone. I cannot reset the default web page. A through scan of the pc revealed no virus or other malware. The Windows Restore will not open even though the restore option is valid (System Properties), will not open even in safe mode.

I have tried to remove the IE via Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Components. It seems removed but when I try to download a new version from Microsoft is says my current version is newer than the downloaded version and fails. When I reactivate IE via Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Components, the problem is still there.

I'm out of ideas, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
David.

Thanks for the response carrr. I don't have time right now for an OS overhaul, so what I did is used Netscape to download IE7 and installed it. Explorer works ok, but the restore still doesn't work. When I get a free hour I'll do an inplace repair of the laptop.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

David.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back