Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 won't refesh no matter what!

Status
Not open for further replies.

S7eve

Technical User
Sep 2, 2001
US
I can't seem to get IE6 (6.0.2600) to refresh some pages from my own website.

I have made some corrections to 4 pages which already existed and uploaded them using WS_FTP over the top of the existing files. I know they have uploaded correctly as I have viewed them by ftp'ing to the site using IE6 and the source shows what it should.

I have tried the following...

1) Refreshing using the icon, refreshing the individual frame concerned by right-clicking. Refreshing whilst holding dwon the shift key.

2) I have deleted the tempory files and history from the 'tools' section and tried step (1) again.

3) Tried shutting the IE6 window, repeating step(2).

4) Tried combinations of step (2) and restarting my PC.

...Every time I am presented with the old version of my pages.

I know IE6 is caching various pages at "D:\Windows\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files". I have tried manually deleting these, again with no effect.

I have also set the Temporary Files to check for new versions every time I visit a page....still no change!

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Steve

In IE do this:

1. Tool
2. Internet Options
3. (Temporary Internet Files on the General Tab)Settings
4. Make sure "Every visit to the page" is selected
5. Ok
6. OK

It's already set to "Every visit to the page", I've double checked but still no change.

Steve

Update!!!

I just installed Opera 6, pointed it straight to my site and strangely it wouldn't show the updated pages either. However, when asked to reload each frame in turn, Opera worked!

I am conducting a little experiment. I've created a page using frames (50%,50& top and bottom) with a seperate html file in each half. The only reason I am using frames is that I have them in my main site.

I have upload the 3 files and pointed IE6 to them...all works as expected.

I have then changed the two main html files by changing a displayed number from 1 to 2 in each.

1) Hitting Refresh in IE6 has no effect.

2) Right clicking in each frame and refreshing has no effect.

3) Clearing the Tempory Internet files the trying all of the above refresh methods has no effect.

4) Clearing the History has no effect.

5) Close the window, opening a new one and pointing back to the smae URL refreshes the top frame but not the bottom one.

6) If I now click refresh, the bottom frame reloads with the correct doc.

However....Trying this on my original website 'still' won't refresh some of the frames!

Can anyone else reproduce these results or possibly explain whats going on?

Well.... If I understood correctly, You have uploaded some files but can't see the changes right away in the browser.
When you upload something to your host server, it takes some time for it to propagate thru different servers on the internet. Specially when you have dial-up connection. Because dial-up ISPs cash web pages, so you'd look at cashed pages IN THE SERVER.
Pages take 2-24 hours to propagate all over the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back