Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6/Win 2000 web pages not displaying

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzreid

Technical User
Sep 26, 2000
GB
I have a PC with Win 2000 professional SP2 and IE6 installed. I connect to the web with an ASDL modem. My ISP can ping my PC and I have all the DNS server ip addresses entered correctly.

When I connect to any web page using a url I get 'Page cannot be displayed' error page. If I type the IP address of the page in the address bar, the page appears but if I try and click on a link on the page I get a pop-up error box saying 'Internet Explorer cannot display search page'.

My ISP are saying they have exhausted things their end and it must something to do with the set up of the PC.

Does anyone have any suggestions / solutions for me?

Thanks in advance
Suz

you are definately having a DNS problem. The reason hyperlinks dont work is that they are in regular text url format and DNS cant resolve the IP address. Go to network connections, right click on the open connection, go to properies. Under the general tab, highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) located in your connection items. Click the properies button. Try setting to obtain IP address and obtain DNS server addresses automatically. You shouldnt have to specify any DNS server IPs yourself since Windows does this automatically.

good luck, rik

I have let TCPIP get the DNS automatically and my ISP gave me the addresses of the DNS servers which I tried. Neither way made any difference. I still couldn't get the web pages.

The one thing I did try was to make an entry in the hosts file for a website. Once I did that I could browse to it using the url. Obviously there is no way I can continue to do this.

Does this suggest there may be a problem with the ISP hosts file for my username seeing as it's not resolving names? I'm not really up to scratch on the networking side of things.

Suz

I suggest calling your ISP. For some reason you are not correctly connecting to the DNS server. By typing in the IP and url in your hosts file you are bypassing DNS completely. See this :

and this :

By the way is your Email working? email also uses DNS to resolve the domain name of your email server.

Good luck, Rich

Heres another idea...try uninstalling TCP/IP from network connections then reinstall it. This should reconfigure your TCP/IP stack and your hosts file.

I called the ISP and they are saying that it must be something to do with the setup of my PC.

I have gone through all the questions they asked and keep getting the same answers

Could it be something their end on their DNS servers or is it likely to be something at my end?

Getting to my wits end. Going to uninstall IE6 and go back to 5.5 and see if that gets me online.

Suz

One more idea....Open network connections and run "create new connection wizard". this will automatically choose all of your TCP/IP settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back