Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 Transparent popups...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello, i have had this problem for a while, when i click a link and it's suppost to come up in a new window...well it does but it's transparent and doesnot do anything. awhile ago, it used to be ok. and i have 64 megs of ram...someone this could be the problem? i'm getting a memory/RAM update for christmas...

thanks so much for your help and time!!!

Hi there,

First of all...we need more info here, what browser etc. Have you tried repairing, reinstalling the browser.

What exactly is transparent? Can you see the page behind the pop up window clearly?

Better still would be an example web site where you are getting this problem.

The more info the better.

<!-- Killroy -->

I doubt that it is related to your RAM, but anything is possible. If you right mouse click on the hyperlink and select Open in New Window will you get the same results?

How about if you have the browser closed and if you click on a hyperlink from lets say an e-mail message does the browser open up correctly initially?

I have seen this once upon a time but just can't remember how exactly it was resolved to be honest.

I have had the same problem with transparent windows. whatever background is behind the new window shows thru. I have posted this problem on another thread &quot;can't open window in ie6&quot;. i am running on nt 4.0 with lots of RAM so i doubt that is the problem. mine started when i upgraded to ie6. the problem occurs with right click and open in new window or if a link in a web page opens a new window. however the first time you open a new web site the primary window functions normally. there are several others with this problem on 2 other threads.

well...i have IE6 and tried to re-install it and then unintall it and install it again...same effect. when i right click the link and say open in new window, it does the same thing. it does it on all sites that has like's that come up in a new window. but if the link opens the site in the same window, it's fine. thanks alot :)

well...i have IE6 and tried to re-install it and then unintall it and install it again...same effect. when i right click the link and say open in new window, it does the same thing. it does it on all sites that has like's that come up in a new window. but if the link opens the site in the same window, it's fine. thanks alot :)

I can't believe Microsoft isn't finding an answer to this. It's coming up very frequently.

Maybe it a web designer's mistake. How about pointing out some specific web addresses that this occurs with to pin down the problem. Look this over:

A New Internet Explorer Window Does Not Always Open When You Click Hyperlinks (Q272415)

SYMPTOMS
When you click a hyperlink on a Web site, the hyperlink does not open in a new Internet Explorer window, as expected. Instead, the hyperlink opens in the same Internet Explorer window or in another currently open Internet Explorer window.

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the Web site uses the TARGET=NEW attribute to open the hyperlinks.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, request that the Web site's Webmaster change the setup of the target hyperlinks on the site's Web pages.

As an alternative, you can right-click the hyperlink, and then click Open in New Window to view the Web page in a new Internet Explorer window.

MORE INFORMATION
Web designers can use the TARGET=NEW attribute on an anchor in Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) to enable users to open a second window in Internet Explorer, but NEW is not a supported attribute for the target tag. If you click a hyperlink that uses the TARGET=NEW attribute, a second Internet Explorer window may open, but if you click subsequent hyperlinks by using the same attribute, a third Internet Explorer window does not open.

This behavior occurs because there may be an error in the HTML coding, which is used to set up the Web site. There are five possible ways that the target attribute can be used. The following list details how to use the correct target attribute, according to the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C):

TARGET=_BLANK
Loads the hyperlink into a new, blank, nameless window

TARGET=_PARENT
Loads the hyperlink in the parent of the document that contains the hyperlink

TARGET=_SELF
Loads the hyperlink in the same window in which you click the hyperlink

TARGET=_TOP
Loads the hyperlink in the full body of the window

TARGET={variable}
Loads the hyperlink in the {variable} window

Hyperlinks that use the TARGET=_BLANK attribute always open a new Internet Explorer window, while hyperlinks that use the TARGET=NEW attribute open a new Internet Explorer window only once.

For more information, please visit the following (W3C) Web site:
If you use the TARGET=NEW attribute, the expected behavior is demonstrated in the following example:
Double-click the Internet Explorer icon to open WindowA. (WindowA does not have a name.)

While you browse the Internet, you can click the hyperlink that uses the TARGET=NEW attribute. This action causes Internet Explorer to open the hyperlink in a window named &quot;New&quot;. WindowA is nameless, therefore, Internet Explorer does not load the hyperlink in WindowA. Internet Explorer opens a new window, WindowB, named &quot;New&quot;.

While you browse in WindowA or WindowB, you can click another hyperlink that uses the TARGET=NEW attribute. Internet Explorer loads the hyperlink in WindowB (not a new Internet Explorer window) because the target is set to &quot;New&quot; and the name of WindowB is &quot;New&quot;.

This behavior is by design. Internet Explorer adheres to the W3C target attribute definition. This behavior is by design. Internet Explorer adheres to the W3C target attribute definition.

NOTE : The purpose of this article is to point out a common error in HTML coding. This behavior is not an issue in Internet Explorer.

reghakr

I did some research and found where I had previous dealt with this issue. Now here at work it is a lot easier to apply some of these fixes because we have the registry files available to reapply on an as needed basis without having to reinstall the application.

Here is what I had documented when a client of ours had this issue. The file associations for .HTM and .HTML were not correct(I don't recall what exactly was wrong with them)so to quickly fix the issue I simply reregistered the application to correct the all the file associations back to IE.

So I guess what I am suggesting, since I know you can't exactly duplicate my fix, is check the file associations for the above two file types and while at it check the URL file associations as well. I guess just make sure that they are pointing to the correct location of IE program and if using DDE make sure that the DDE settings are correct. Perhaps even try uncheckng DDE to see if this makes a difference. What I am sure of is that it is in registry somewhere that is causing the problem.

You can try downloading REGMON from and see what is happening with the registry when clicking on a hyperlink. It may give some hint but it helps if you have another machine to compare it to where IE works correctly.

I wish I could give you more specifics to troubleshoot the issue but that is all I have. Sorry. Good Luck.

Just a side note. If you are using DDE and you want to test unchecking it write down the DDE information before you do. If you recheck DDE the info does not come back automatically.

I had the same problem. However, on another thread on this site another user named pktips (or something like that) listed server dlls that should be registered by running
start
run
(for example)... urlmon.dll

His suggestion worked like magic! It's terribly annoying to click on a link and then see a blank page, or a page with a partial screen-shot of the current page, that does nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back