Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 shuts down 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WJ33

Technical User
Jan 31, 2002
US
I am using Win 98 and IE6. When I go certain sites, IE 6 shuts down and goes back to desktop. Some sites come up for a second or two and some immediately shut down IE6. I have tried Spybot with no success. I took IE6 off and reloaded still nothing helps

Are you/were you running any sort of pop-up killer program(s)? These will often work too well. If you're running such, remove it/desable it and see what happens. Post back if no joy...

I am not using any pop up killers.

And you're greeted with no error whatsoever?

Also, make sure you're running IE 6.0 SP1 (getting the obvious out of the way first).

I get no error message whatsoever. It just starts going to the site and dumps out to the desktop.

I am running SP1

Ok...
...are you running Norton, in any incarnation?
...do you have a firewall?
...are you running Kazaa?

No Kazaa
Am running Norton SystemWorks 2002-5
The only firewall is in Linksys router.

Norton has been on system before problem started
Linksys router also

Nothing you can put your finger on that coincides with the onset of the problem? No installs of anything?
(....killing time while I check a few resources...)

...also, you say "certain sites".... Like what...what kind/sort? any common thread?

Sites are commercial, some news sites. For example I was looking a number of sporting goods stores, shopping for some equipment. One day I went to a site, the next time and ever since, IE dumps out each time. The news site for eg. is the BBC news site. Very perplexing.
I went into MS config and shut off literally everything. No change.

So...might these all be sites who want to exchange cookies with you?

IE is set for "medium" for privacy option in internet options. I believe this is the default setting. I tried changing this to low and it not change anything.

Try looking for a hidden file called HOSTS.
Delete any references to these problem sites from within...

I downloaded BHODEMON and found two entries. Acrobat reader 5 and Norton. I disabled both with no change.

I am not sure how to access site names in the hosts. I found the file which has a .SAM tail but it seems to be a readme file only.

I installed ACTIVEX 9 but my reference site still dumps back to desktopo

You might see a file names 'hosts' with no file extension. The hosts.sam is the same thing. Right click it and open it with Notepad. Are there any references to any of your problems sites, any site references at all within?

I can only find the hosts.sam file there are no others other than in the Spybot files. No hosts files other than that. I have set explorer to show all files.

What's your script debugging set at? (under Tools, Internet Options, Advanced...) Also, you don't have Use TLS 1.0 checked do you (same page, down under Security)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back